Job Description: Manono Project Officer, Manono Shared Value Project
Title: Project Officer
Location: Manono, Democratic Republic of Congo
Package: Competitive, including local accommodation, re-location support, home leave, R&R, and health insurance
Job type: Two-year contract (with expectation to renew)
Salary band: £30,000 – £40,000/year
Keystone Accountability is a not-for-profit that works to improve the effectiveness of organisations working in the sustainable development fields through ways of planning, implementing, measuring and reporting on their work that feature the voices of those meant to benefit from their work — the primary constituents – and other stakeholders.
The Manono Shared Value Project is a long-term partnership between Keystone, the BeeBee Foundation, and Manomin, a mining company operating in Manono, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Its initial phase is four years, and is being designed with a 20-year plus horizon in mind.
Situated in Tanganyika Province, Manono is emerging from over three decades of violent conflict. A recent period of stability in the region, however, has afforded a resurgence of international investment in this mineral rich region and a corresponding inflow of international aid and development activity. The mining company and its affiliated charitable foundation have invited Keystone to join them in a three-way partnership to develop and implement long-term development programmes with the Manono community.
Keystone is recruiting two project staff, a project manager and project officer, to work with and for the Manono community to develop and run long-term development programmes. The successful candidates will relish the opportunity to be based in Manono for a minimum of two years (with the possibility of extension for a second two years) and ensure the effectiveness of the programmes developed under their stewardship. They should be able to speak at least one of the local languages (French or Swahili) and be willing to learn the other. The terms of employment include generous annual leave and periodic R&R as well as company provided housing, flights home and health insurance.
The Project Officer will be responsible for supporting the Project Manager in implementing the Manono Shared Value project. They will have 2-3 years working experience with a background in social science or development anthropology and will either have prior knowledge of, or be willing to learn, the local languages (Swahilli and French). They will also have experience in project management in a developing country context, preferably with work experience having lived in the field and a track record of community engagement.
As a facilitator of the relationship between the mining company and the local community, the Project Officer will excel at forming consensus around community needs, managing diverse constituent expectations, and implementing a growing portfolio of community-led projects.
- 2-5 years of experience working with international aid organisations/NGOs.
- Experience in project management.
- Proven experience in community engagement and working with communities.
- Experience of having worked in a developing country context with extensive field experience.
- Minimum post-graduate degree, preferably in development anthropology, international development or similar field.
- Experience in managing CSR projects (preferable)
- Experience of having worked in Central/East Africa (preferable)
- Language proficiency in French and/or Swahili (preferable)
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Project Development, Management, and Governance (50 percent)
- Assist the Project Manager in facilitating community-led project development processes
- Support the Project Manager in establishing Manono Shared Value Project governance by local citizens
- Assist in the recruitment and support of community volunteers for project realization
- Support the Project Manager in recruiting, orienting and supervising partner development organizations to realize funded projects
Communications and model building (10 percent)
- Contribute to publications, professional presentations
- Engage and learn with other Keystone projects
Administration (40 percent)
- Assist in management of project budgets and local financial accounts
- Conduct administrative tasks for the Manono office
- Liaise with London Office: Manono Shared Value Project and Keystone finance team
To apply please send your updated CV and a covering letter of no more than 1000 words to hr[at]keystoneaccountability.org. Your cover letter should include a brief description of your relevant work experience to date as well as a section on what makes you best suited for the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Deadline for applications: 30th September 2016