Job Description: Manono Project Manager, Manono Shared Value Project
Title: Project Manager
Location: Manono, Democratic Republic of Congo
Package: Competitive, including local accommodation, re-location support, home leave, R&R, and health insurance
Job type: Two-year contract (with expectation to renew)
Salary band: £40,000 – £50,000/year
Keystone Accountability is a not-for-profit that works to improve the effectiveness of organisations working in the sustainable development fields through ways of planning, implementing, measuring and reporting on their work that feature the voices of those meant to benefit from their work — the primary constituents – and other stakeholders.
The Manono Shared Value Project is a long-term partnership between Keystone, the BeeBee Foundation, and Manomin, a mining company operating in Manono, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Its initial phase is four years, and is being designed with a 20-year plus horizon in mind.
Situated in Tanganyika Province, Manono is emerging from over three decades of violent conflict. A recent period of stability in the region, however, has afforded a resurgence of international investment in this mineral rich region and a corresponding inflow of international aid and development activity. The mining company and its affiliated charitable foundation have invited Keystone to join them in a three-way partnership to develop and implement long-term development programmes with the Manono community.
Keystone is recruiting two project staff, a project manager and project officer, to work with and for the Manono community to develop and run long-term development programmes. The successful candidates will relish the opportunity to be based in Manono for a minimum of two years (with the possibility of extension for a second two years) and ensure the effectiveness of the programmes developed under their stewardship. They should be able to speak at least one of the local languages (French or Swahili) and be willing to learn the other. The terms of employment include generous annual leave and periodic R&R as well as company provided housing, flights home and health insurance.
The Manono Project Manager will have 5-7 years of work experience and a skill set covering participatory development methodologies, project management, qualitative and quantitative research, and one or more technical domain skills such as public health, education, agriculture, livelihoods or water.
They will have work experience in development and educational preparation that shows their commitment to cultural sensitivity and the centrality of human agency in sustainable development effectiveness. They will be the kind of person that knows that they must speak the local language in order to be effective facilitators of development. They enjoy project management, understanding that this is a skill that outsiders can contribute to isolated communities like Manono. Since this pioneering project could become a model for CSR in the extractive sector, they will be exhaustively documenting their experience.
As lead facilitators of the relationship between the mining company and the local community, both the Project Manager and Officer will excel at forming consensus around community needs, managing diverse constituent expectations, and implementing a growing portfolio of community-led projects.
- Language proficiency in either French or Swahili (must be willing to learn the other)
- 5 years of experience working with international or national development organisations/NGOs
- Proven experience in deep community engagement
- Capacity for sustained period of productive time in a remote rural community setting
- Passion for project management
- Minimum post-graduate degree in development anthropology, international development, or an appropriate field
- Experience of having worked in a developing country (essential), specifically in Central/East Africa (preferable)
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Project Development, Management, and Governance (70 percent)
- Facilitate community-led project development processes
- Implement Constituent Voice systems across all Manono Shared Value Project projects
- Coordinate Manono Shared Value Project activities with other local development actors
- Establish and support Manono Shared Value Project governance by local citizens
- Recruit and support community volunteers for project realization
- Recruit, orient and supervise development organizations to realize funded projects
- Liaise with outside agencies, including donors
- Line manage the Project Officer
Communications and model building (15 percent)
- Document the work of the Manono Shared Value Project as an innovation in extractive sector CSR
- Contribute to publications, professional presentations
- Engage and learn with other Keystone projects
Administration (15 percent)
- Manage project budgets and local financial accounts
- Administration of Manono operations
- Liaise with London Officer: Manono Shared Value Project and Keystone finance team
To apply please send your updated CV and a covering letter of no more than 1000 words to hr[at]keystoneaccountability.org. Your cover letter should include a brief description of your relevant work experience to date as well as a section on what makes you best suited for the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Deadline for applications: 30th September 2016